STATE SUPPORTFor 2018 the secured amount of the state support for the Bulgarian film industry is aprox. EUR 6 750 000 (BGN 13 200 000). According the Film Industry Act:
• at least 80 % (EUR 5 400 000 for 2018) of the funding is for all type of film production (feature film, documentaries, animation + minority co-productions). Up to 20 % of this amount (aprox. EUR 1 080 000 for 2018) is for support of minority co-productions.
• at least 10 % (EUR 675 000 for 2018) of the funding is for support Local theatrical distribution of Bulgarian movies (including supported minority co-productions);
• up to 5 % (EUR 337 500 for 2018) of the funding is for support of festivals, other cinema events and international promotion of Bulgarian films
• up to 5 % (EUR 337 500 for 2018) of the funding is for support of special film projects on subjects, proposed by Ministry of culture;
Only companies registered according the Bulgarian Trade Law and registered as producers, distributors or exhibitors at the Bulgarian National Film Center can apply for funding. The state support is allocated to film projects, selected by a National Commission of experts on a competitive basis.
Following genres are eligible for funding:
* Development and production of feature films (over 70 minutes), short features (between 15 and 30 minutes), short and feature length documentaries and animation;
* Minority co-productions;
* Local theatrical distribution of Bulgarian movies (including supported minority co-productions);
* Festivals and other cinema events;
* International promotion of Bulgarian films (participation of films and filmmakers at international festivals and other major cinema events).
Every year the Bulgarian National Film Center has:
* two application deadlines per year for feature films, documentaries and animation;
* four deadlines per year for minority co-productions;
* one deadline per year for co-productions with TV broadcaster with national coverage.
The legal rate of support for Bulgarian productions is as follows:
- at least 30% of the average budget from previous year for the type of film production (feature film, documentary or animation);
- Up to 50% of the budget of the film project, where for difficult films the legal amount is up to 80%, but no more than 70% of the average budget for the previous year of the respective type of film production (The definition of difficult film production according to the Bulgarian Film Industry Act reads: ‘A film production the sole original version of which is in Bulgarian language and the budget of which does not exceed the average budget for the previous year of the respective type of film production is regarded as difficult).
- No less than 75 per cent and no more than 160 of the earmarked public funds under the Act shall be spent on the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria.